Much like the Patriotic Fund branch, the Berlin Red Cross Society branch appointed its first members on 23 September. The group’s new president was Mrs. C. Kompf. The Red Cross would become a vital outlet providing aid for the soldiers on the front. Elmira also contributed to the group by providing forty-five volunteers on November 19th 1914. At the time, it took twenty-five cents as a start up fee for each volunteer. The women of Waterloo were eager to help the war effort, which they were able to do through their work for the Red Cross.
(Picture courtesy of the Red Cross of Canada; “Red Cross Work,“ Berlin Daily Telegraph, 23 September 1914)