On 2 August, the Minster of Militia, Colonel Sam Hughes, announced that a base would be constructed just outside of the municipality of Saint Gabriel de Valcartier, Quebec, for the mobilization of a Canadian Expeditionary Force. The camp would be approximately 25 km north of Quebec City and accessible by railroad. The site was selected with the expectation that Canada would receive a call for an overseas force within the next few days. Hughes expected the site to be ready to accept men within a week; however, construction of the site took three weeks. Men began arriving at Valcartier in mid-August for military training before being sent overseas.
(“Contingent may be called for within few days,” London Free Press, 3 August 1914; “Would Join Force,” Berlin Daily- Telegraph, 11 August 1914; “Need Is Exceeded,” Berlin Daily- Telegraph, 14 August 1914; To Mobilize Tomorrow,” Waterloo Chronicle-Telegraph, 20 August 1914; Visual: http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/Maps/mapValcartierR.jpg )